Thursday, April 25, 2013

Day 115: DVD Workout!

As much as I love my yoga classes, it is terribly hard to make my way to one. The whole process - i.e. the commute, the 1.5 hour class itself and the post class shower, takes about three hours in total. These days with my work as well as desire to spend time with the little one, squeezing in three hours is getting increasingly difficult. So I was looking for alternative ways to get some exercise. Sure, there are always options like swimming and walking etc. but with Singapore's weather conditions, these are not really guaranteed. And no, the gym isn't an option either. For some reason, I absolutely hate going to the gym.

So I decided to check out some workout DVDs. I wanted something that was high impact but that doesn't take much time either. It is hard to make three hours to go for yoga classes, but it is even harder to take more than 30-40 minutes if I am working out at home, because the little one makes her displeasure loud and clear, if I do not pay her enough attention.

And I found what I think is a perfect fit! I came across this DVD by Jillian Michaels called 30-day Shred which is three levels at 27 minutes each of pretty intensive workout, as per its numerous reviews on the internet. I don't have much weight to "shred" but its combination of strength training, cardio and abs workout looked promising. So I got myself a DVD from Amazon.

Today, I did my first level 1 workout, following the DVD!

It was hard, sure... but not as hard as what the reviews were making it out to be, which is good. It basically means I am not that unfit. But it definitely got my heart rate up and my muscles sore, which is awesome!

The recommendation is to do the routine for 30 days at a stretch (and hence the name) with 10 days for each level. I will not be following that schedule surely, because Bikram yoga is still my first priority but this is a great replacement for days I can't make it for yoga! Plus it is short, so there is really no excuse for not doing it.

So yes, am indeed very happy with my latest discovery of a workout routine and actually working it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment