Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 1: New Year Lesson Learnt!

For the past one week or so I had been planning to make the New Year's day rather happening. The belief, as expected, was that if the New Year's day ends up being happening, so will the rest of the year. And by "happening" I mean packed with activities and productivity.

And then the New Year's Day came. 

And I did nothing but sleep until about 2pm. Reason - the little madam decided to be up the whole night with unprecedented enthusiasm, probably in the spirit of the new year. So it was only in the morning that I managed to get those much needed hours of sleep. 

When I finally woke up, I felt miserable. This was not how I meant to spend the morning today. I had planned so many things and the morning was already gone. 

So I immersed myself in some first class mopping. 

The background to this mopping is that these days, it's a constant point of concern for me whether I would be able to do all that I used to - e.g. work, exercise, films, dance etc., in spite of the little one being around. I tell myself that I am determined to continue with all it and make the little one a part of the activities vs. giving up on everything because she is around. But obviously, it's harder than one would think. Getting the schedule working in itself is an uphill task, let alone the energy to do stuff. But one gotta try.  

So back to today.... I made a drama with the hubby about how every other year I would have done SO MANY things on New Year's day but this year, everything's gone for a toss and how this is an indication of how my life has changed forever and I wont be able to do anything for the rest of the year. Etc. etc. etc. It was quite dramatic. 

Then to prove my point, with great pomp and show, I whipped out the blog posts from past New Year's days that my 1000-day blog had covered. 

And then I realized all that drama was highly misplaced. 

On January 1, 2012, my main activity was relaxing at home. 

On January 1, 2011, my main activity was a visit to Marina Bay Sands and walking around there. 

On January 1, 2010, I woke up at NOON! 

In other words, I had never really packed things into a New Year's day but have had pretty good years in terms of productivity, in spite of that.  

There you go. 

Several lessons learnt such as...
1) New Year's day isn't the end of it all. 
2) It's OK to relax. 
3) Stop being a drama queen. 

Post this revelation, spirits were lifted up rather high. The rest of the day went in happily spending time with mom, hubby and little one. Walked around Raffles City looking at the last of the season's sales, had a good dinner at Shahi Maharani, took a short night walk with the hubby, played with the little one, forced my singing skills on her which she seemed to appreciate with a wide a smile and by the end of day, felt thankful, contented and happy. 

It was a good New Year's day indeed. Looking forward to the rest of the year! 

1 comment:

  1. Happy New year again :)
    Well New Year Day does that to one... exhausts one, and then a guilt trip begins. Happens to me each year, and I think that I'll do it differently the next year... with the predictable result, that history repeats itself.
    So, as you say, it's ok, so long as you enjoyed yourself :D

    ReplyDelete